Warmer weather and outdoor activities have arrived with the beginning of summer. Pets also appreciate their time in the sun, so it's important to keep in mind what you need to do to make sure your pet is ready to enjoy summer activities.
The American Veterinary Medical Association provides these important summertime pet care tips:
• Provide adequate water and shade
• Never leave your pet in the car
• Take walks and play outside during cooler hours of the day
• Avoid walking on hot pavement that can hurt your dog's paws
• Provide regular flea and tick protection
• If you have a dog that isn't on a regular schedule of heartworm preventive, now is a good time to start. Mosquitoes carry heartworm, which is difficult and expensive to treat, and if not caught in time, can be fatal.